- 9" Pie Crust, Reduced Fat
- Sweet potato, 3 small
- Condensed milk, Fat free, 10 oz (3/4 of 14oz-can)
- Egg, 1extra large
- Egg white, 1extra large
- Cinnamon, ground, 1 tsp
- Ginger, ground, 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg, ground, 1/2 tsp
- Salt, 1/4 tsp
- Whiskey (Bourbon), 2 tbsp (1 fl oz)
- Maple Syrup, 1/3 cup
- Water, cold 1/4 cup (4 fl oz)
- Cornstarch, 2 tsp
- Egg white, extra large, fresh 2
- Lemon Juice, 1 tbsp
- Salt, a pinch
- Sugar, 2 tbsp
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake the pie crust according to the instructions, for 10 minutes. Cool it completely.
2. Pierce sweet potatoes with fork; place potatoes in microwave oven and cook for 10 minutes. Take them out, place in heated oven and bake for 10 more minutes, until potatoes are very tender when pierced with fork. Cool slightly. Cut potatoes open and scoop out pulp. Transfer pulp to processor and puree until smooth.
3. Add sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices, salt and whiskey. Puree until smooth, for 20 seconds. Pour into crust. Bake for 45 minutes or until knife inserted 1-inch from crust comes out clean.
Cool. Garnish with meringues.
4. Make the Meringues.
Mix water and cornstarch in a glass. Pour maple syrup in a small frying pan, heat up. Add dissolved cornstarch to syrup and cook stirring constantly till the mixture is thick. Set aside.
Separate two eggs, discard the yolks. Put the egg whites, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl. Whip up with a mixer till soft picks, add sugar gradually and whip till it dissolves and egg whites become white glossy. Add maple cornstarch hot mixture to the egg whites one spoon at a time, whipping constantly.
Nutritional info per ⅛ pie: makes 8 servings
* Calories: 251
* Fat: 4g Carbs: 44g (fiber: 1.5g) Protein: 6g